DIY Fall Magnolia Wreath



Sometimes it feels good to get out the scissors and glue and make something with your hands. I love designing things but I always come back to my good-ole-crafts. I headed to AC Moore with my coupon in tow, looking for some inspiration. There is so much to choose from. I saw that the paper was on sale so I decided on another faux wreath. Who doesn't need another wreath to decorate the farmhouse look? I chose 3 colors of card stock and a 12" styrofoam ring. It came to about 9 bucks and I was out the door to get started. 


I created a magnolia leaf in Adobe Illustrator and saved it as an SVG file to cut on my Cricut.  I fit 10 leaves per 12" x 12" page.  I cut 40 leaves out of the green, 20 leaves out of the brown and 20 out of craft paper.  




Once cut, I folded, creased, bent and curled the paper leaves.  


I wanted the leaves to look a little dried. I used a brown ink pad and rubbed the edges and creases to give the flat paper dimension and detail. I tried not to be very perfect with this part. They all should look a little different. 


Real magnolia leaves have that awesome bronzy color.  I had a very cheap can of Old Gold spray paint.  I laid the leaves out on a drop cloth and sprayed the leaves to give them that shinny autumn glow.  Again, not being perfect.  Some leaves got a heavier coating than others.  That's okay.  


As they dried, I wrapped the styrofoam ring with floral tape. I love that stuff. Pull and wrap and it sticks to itself covering the white styrofoam. 



Hot glue is heating and I randomly glued the leaves around the ring.  I made sure I used all the leaves so it was full.


My husband cut a piece of 1/4" plywood. I sanded and stained it. Pretty script was painted on it in white chalk paint. I wired it to the wreath.

Do you like the gate it hangs on? Do you love those antique hinges and distressed paint? More on that later.

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.