How to Make A Rope Basket


This summer we visited Ottawa.  It is a beautiful city.  We did all the touristy things; visited the Parliament building, saw the changing of the guard and checked out the Rideau Canal.  After we headed to the shopping district, we had lunch at an outdoor pub and did a little shopping in the street market.  My daughter picked up a rope bowl for her kitchen table from a booth selling African crafts.  It was rope sewn together with tread.  I was intrigued by this and wondered if I can make it myself.  When I got home, I took to Pinterest.  There are lots of ideas on rope bowls and baskets.  There is no easy way of learning something new unless I actually do it.  Here is what I did.

What you need to start this project:
A bowl or bucket to use as a guide
Hot glue gun & glue sticks
Scissors
Rope (I purchased mine from Lowe's)

Optional items:
An old leather belt (Thrift store find, $3.99)
Round headed fasteners (brass brads)  (Staples)
Hammer & Hole Punch (Making Memories)
Carpet knife & cutting board

1. Gather your materials.  Heat up glue gun.
Cut the end of the rope clean and hot glue the end so it doesn't fray.


2. Begin twisting it around and glueing between each row as you go. Use the bottom of your bucket or bowl to guide you so it stays flat and tight.  Do not glue it to the bowl or bucket.  Some glue might get on it so when it cools, make sure it is not stuck.  


3. Work up the sides to desired height.  Remember to keep the glue from sticking to your bucket or bowl.  If you run out of rope and need more, cut the end of the rope clean and hot glue the end so it doesn't fray. Continue by gluing the two ends together. Once you achieve the desired height, cut the rope and glue the end so it doesn't fray. Tack it with hot glue in the inside.


4. These next steps are optional.  I knew I wanted leather handles on mine.  I found a belt at my local thrift store for $3.99.  I cut the belt with a carpet knife.  The leather was too thick for scissors.  I punched holes in them for the brass brads.


5. I pushed the tabs of the brad between a row of rope.  You might need to use something sharp, like scissors to help punch threw some of the glue.


6. Once you have it positioned, add a little hot glue on the back side of the leather to secure it.


That is it.  Be careful not to burn yourself with the glue.  







No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.